Pages

5.28.2012

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day


Instead of wishing you a happy Memorial Day, I want to give you a little food for thought.
...
 Today, while we celebrate what all of our brave men and women, both dead and alive, have done for us, we should also be spending a great deal of time being thankful, and honoring them. 

I'm not entirely convinced that BBQs and picnics show them the  respect that they deserve.
However,
HUZZAH FOR PARADES!!! lol

Yet is this enough? Yeah, sure, our fallen heroes won't know the difference. And our living heroes might not care very much how we commemorate the day. But I think there should be more.


Why don't we all visit a soldier/veteran nearby and do them a little service? Maybe all they wish is kind words and respect. Maybe they need lawn work done. Maybe they would love the fresh berry pie you just made. Maybe they want to tell you stories of what it was like for them when they were in action. Maybe only the family is there, because their hero is still on the field, or because their hero never came home. Maybe they could use a kind person or two dropping by and offering to help out in any way. Maybe we can find a small way to give back, and serve our country in a different way. Maybe, just maybe, there is something more that we should do.

Not that I have done any of those things today. (Shame on me)

However, in a future year, this is my Memorial Day plan: To make some lucky soldier/veteran (or two, or three, or four...) have the most memorable Memorial Day he has ever had yet. Or at least one of the best in a while.


Now I know. I just said all that noble sounding stuff, and then I admit to having done none of it. Yet. You're probably wondering what our family has done so far.
So how have we spent our day? 


Well, it's not quite over yet, but we have been working pretty hard. We are blessed to have both my parents home today, so after they took a walk, we went outside and did a TON of yard work. 

Side note...
It sprinkled for maybe 5 minutes. 
Bummer. 
(I was hoping for a short drenching...it's hot out there!)

Here's what we got done (and before, the place looked pretty awful):
1. The garden is weeded and waiting for me to transfer the plants from the front porch to the garden.
2.Weeds everywhere HAVE BEEN DESTROYED!!! Mwahahaha!!!
3. Bushes of all kinds have been trimmed.
4. The lawn was mowed.
5. I cut myself open on two fingers on my right hand.
6. The front flower bed is waiting for me (this sounds familiar huh?) to transplant a zillion flowers into it. All of which are ALSO on the front porch.
7. I NEED A SHOWER. But I have to go back out, so I guess I'm waiting. :-(  


I hope that your day has been awesome so far, and that it will get even more awesome. 
Remember to say thanks to our soldiers!!!
If any of our amazing men and women who are serving or have served our country are reading this, please know that I thank you with all my heart for what you have done to make our country a better, safer place!!! We love you!!!



Thanks for stopping by today!!!
~Paige
 

No comments:

Post a Comment